|Porta De Santiago |
Porta is portuguese for gate. This entrance is the only remnant of the old fort built by Portuguese after they conquered Melaka in 1511. The s-shaped passage was constructed to avoid gubfire. After they take-over 1641, the Dutch restored and extended the fortllicalions. Above the archway, one can see the emblem of the vac ( Dutch East India Company) and" 1670" which the Dutch added in that year.
|Proclaimation of Independence Memorial |
Next to Porta De Santiago is the Proclaimation of Independence Memorial. Proclaimation of Malaya's independence was made by Malaysia's first Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra AI-Haj at Padang Pahlawan or Warriors Field. This memorial houses invaluable exhibits of the country's struggle leading to the independence. Exhibits are in the from of relics, manuscripts, video tapes, films and slides.
|The Stadthuys Complex |
The Stadthuys is the most Imposing relic of the Dutch era in Melaka is the massive red town hall and governors' reSidence. built between 1641 and 1660 and believed to be Ihe oldest Dulch building In the East. It displays all the typical features of Dutch colomal architecture. This bUilding compnses
• History and Ethnography Museum • Admiral Cheng Ho Gallery
• Literature Museum • Democratic Rule Museum
• Governor Museum
For more information:
Tel 606-2826526/606-281 1289/606-2826645
|Portuguese Settlement |
Inferring strong affinity to Portugal, this place has been called Mini Lisbon. Located within the Portuguese Settlement, the square is the culmination of colourful and splendid Portugese culture during festivals and celebrations. This Portuguese community speaks Cristao, a dialect of the Portuguese from the 16th and 17th centuries. This place is very famous for its restaurant, where spicy seafood dishes are served and its cultural performances, which the dancers dressed in the traditional costumes.
A Portuguese built Fort between 1512 to 1550 until the Dutch later added a structure which they named "Middleburg" Circa in late 1660 to 1670. A huge sewerage pipe dated 1895 also found. The Heritage Department will excavate and expose the southern side of the foundation of the fort's walls and its six bastions before using laterite stones from Malacca's Pulau Upeh to reconstruct the fort. The department will also conserve and restore the 23 historical structures within the fort's confines.
Pages: 1 2